Upgrading from Classic Versions
Due to the nature of the changes to the product the upgrade from XIA Links Server version 3 or older (referred to in the documentation as classic versions) requires that the following steps be completed.
WARNING: Classic versions of the XIA Links Client cannot connect with the new XIA Links Server. The steps below include instructions for running two versions of the server together to support classic and current versions of the client.
- Ensure that the server running XIA Links Server meets the new server requirements.
- Ensure that the computers running the XIA Links Client meet the new client requirements.
- The license file format has changed, ensure that you have requested a new license file.
- Follow the installation guide.
NOTE: If you need to continue to support existing classic clients then either install on a new server, or use a different application name when prompted.
- The installation now automatically installs the XIA Links Client so that the installation can be tested and configured locally without the need to run the separate XIA Links Client installation.
- When the installation is complete start the import classic configuration tool to import the classic configuration.
- Review the configuration and modify the configuration of the shortcuts, sections, and client settings as required.
- Use the new Group Policy ADMX templates to prepare the configuration of the new XIA Links Client that is to be deployed to the computers on the network.
NOTE: The new Group Policy ADMX templates have no effect on classic versions of the XIA Links Client, and both can be used concurrently.
- Install the new XIA Links Client on the computers on the network using the client installation files.
WARNING: This will automatically remove classic versions of the XIA Links Client.
NOTE: This can be done with the unattended installation process.